We offer a range of HSP Services, and sometimes additional terms may apply. When you use or access HSP Services (e.g. Connect & Collaborate / Panda Messenger, Community Forum, User Review, Your Content Library, or HSP Mobile App) you may be asked to review and provide consent to the guidelines, terms and agreements, if applicable, for that specific HSP Service ("Service Terms").
- What Personal Information About Users Does HSP Gather?
- What About Cookies?
- Does homeschoolpanda.com Share the Information It Receives?
- How Secure Is Information About Me?
- What About Third-Party Advertisers and Links to Other Websites?
- Which Information Can I Access?
- What Choices Do I Have?
- Are Children Allowed to Use HSP?
- EU-US Privacy Shield
- Examples of Information Collected
What Personal Information About Users Does HSP Gather?
Required Information – Safety and Privacy when using ‘Connect & Collaborate’
As part of our unwavering commitment to the safety and privacy of our users and their families, we require the following pieces of information for verification of identity: first name, last name, middle initial (if any), city, zip code and state. We collect this information for actively checking against the Department of Justice National Sex Offenders Public Website (NSOPW) database. Users who do not provide this optional information can still access HSP Services, however, will not be allowed to use the ‘Connect & Collaborate’ features. With or without cause and with notice, HSP reserves the final right and discretion for allowing, rejecting, continuing, discontinuing, terminating, suspending and / or disclosure of user accounts.
When using the ‘Connect and Collaborate’ features, providing false identity information will lead to, including but not limited to, termination of user account and access to HSP Services, reporting to law enforcement agencies, prosecution and civil lawsuit to recover any damages / harm caused to our users, brand, organization, goodwill and credibility.
What we do with this information
We realize, that sex offenders have always lived in our communities. The Community Protection Act of 1990 enables us to check the NSOPW database and be proactive about avoiding any potential threat to any of our users and their families. Our objective is not to abuse this information, or to threaten, intimidate or harass registered sex offenders. Using the required information, our users feedback and by detecting repeated suspicious, abusive, harassing and / or irregular activities on the HSP Services platforms, we can and will duly take the strictest, swift and legitimate action permissible by law, including but not limited to, termination of user account and access to HSP Services, reporting to law enforcement agencies, prosecution and civil lawsuit to recover any damages / harm caused to our users, brand, organization, goodwill and credibility.
In addition to the above we collect:
- E-mail address of registered users;
- The name of the internet domain (for example, "123mycompany.com" if you use a private Internet access account, or "123myschool.edu" if you are connecting from a university's domain);
- The Internet Protocol (IP) address (a number that is automatically assigned to your computer when you are using the Internet) from which you access our site;
- The type of browser and operating system used to access our site;
- The date and time you access our site;
- The internet address of the website from which you linked directly to our site; and
- The pages you visit and the information you request;
- The content and other information you provide when you use HSP Services, including when you sign up for an account, create or share, and message or communicate with others;
- Your user profile information, such as your name, e-mail address and social media profile / ID information, when you provide us feedback or contact us via e-mail or participate in our polling / survey activities;
- Media content (e.g. photo, video, audio files) such as the location of a photo or the date a file was created;
- Information on how you use HSP Services, such as the types of content you view or engage with or the frequency and duration of your activities. This information is used to improve the Site and Services;
- When you are using the HSP Services, our servers collect information such as your web request, IP address, browser type, referring / exit pages and URLs, number of clicks, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other browsing information;
- Content and information that other users provide about you when they use HSP Services, such as through our ‘Connect and Collaborate’ features, including information about you, such as when they share a photo of you, attend / organize an event with you, send a message to you, or upload, sync or import your contact information;
- Any content populated by you into the HSP web or mobile application (e.g. lesson plans, student grades/reports, calendar entries, user files uploaded such as images, documents or files and curriculum information).
A Better User Experience
The information we learn from users helps us personalize and continually improve your HSP experience. Here are the types of information we gather.
- Information You Provide Us: We receive and store any information you enter on our Web site or give us in any other way. You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to take advantage of many of our features. We use the information that you provide for such purposes as responding to your requests, customizing future services for you, improving our offerings, and communicating with you.
- Automatic Information: We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. For example, like many Web sites, we use "cookies," and we obtain certain types of information when your Web browser accesses HSP or advertisements and other content served by or on behalf of HSP on other Web sites. Click here to see examples of the information we receive.
- Mobile: When you download, or use Apps created by HSP or our subsidiaries, we may receive information about your location and your mobile device, including a unique identifier for your device. We may use this information to provide you with location-based services, such as local events, “Homeschoolers Near Me”, advertising, search results, and other personalized content. Most mobile devices allow you to turn off location services. For more information about how to do this, click here.
- E-mail Communications: To help us make e-mails more useful and interesting, we often receive a confirmation when you open e-mail from HSP if your computer supports such capabilities. We also compare our user list to lists received from other marketing companies, to avoid sending unnecessary messages to our users. If you do not want to receive e-mail or other mail from us, please adjust your preferences by visiting the Preferences and/or Settings features available within HSP.
- Information From Other Sources: We might receive information about you from other sources and add it to our account information. Click here to see examples of the information we receive.
- Much of the information we collect is also used for statistical analysis and technical improvements to the site. Our computer system uses software programs to create summary statistics, which may be used for such purposes as assessing what information is of most and least interest, determining technical design specifications, and identifying system performance or problem areas. In certain circumstances, however, we may take additional steps to identify you based on this information and we may share this information, including your identity, with other government law enforcement agencies and / or with a court of the law.
What About Cookies?
Does HSP Share the Information It Receives?
Information about our users is an important part of our business, and we are not in the business of selling it to others. We share user information only as described below and with affiliates HSP controls that either are subject to this Privacy Notice or follow practices at least as protective as those described in this Privacy Notice.
- Affiliated Businesses We Do Not Control: We work closely with affiliated businesses. In some cases, such as marketplace educators, bloggers and solution providers, these businesses may operate in their respective spaces at www.HomeschoolPanda.com, on the HSP mobile app or promote offerings to you at www.HomeschoolPanda.com and HSP mobile app. In other cases, we may operate within the same spaces, provide services, or promote product lines jointly with these businesses. HSP will make take all reasonable steps to inform you when a third party is involved in your interactions at HSP, and we may share user information related to those interactions with that third party.
- Third-Party Service Providers: We may work with other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include fulfilling orders, sending postal mail and e-mail, removing repetitive information from user lists, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, providing search results and links (including paid listings and links), processing credit card payments, and providing customer service. They have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes. Each third party that we work with are subject to strict Confidentiality, Non-Disclosure and Non-Compete agreements as applicable.
- Promotional Offers: Sometimes we may send offers to selected groups of users on behalf of other businesses. When we do this, we do not give that business your name or contact information. If you do not want to receive such offers, you have the option to opt out by simply clicking on the “opt out” or “unsubscribe” links located within such communication or by emailing Contact@HomeschoolPanda.com and advising your contact preferences.
- Business Transfers: As we continue to develop our business, we might sell or buy software, offerings, subsidiaries, or business units. In such transactions, user information generally is one of the transferred business assets but remains subject to the promises made in any pre-existing Privacy Notice (unless, of course, the user consents otherwise). Also, in the unlikely event that HSP, or substantially all of its assets are acquired, user information will of course be one of the transferred assets.
- With Your Consent: Other than as set out above, you will receive notice when information about you might go to third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to share the information.
How Secure Is Information About Me?
- We work to protect the security of your information during transmission by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)software, which encrypts information you input.
- For HSP services, that may require a financial transaction, we reveal only the last four digits of your credit card numbers when confirming an order. Of course, we transmit the entire credit card number to the appropriate credit card company during order processing.
- It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computer. Be sure to sign off when finished using a shared computer.
What About Third-Party Advertisers and Links to Other Websites?
Our site may contain third-party advertising and links to other web sites. For more information about third-party advertising at HSP, including personalized or interest-based ads, please read our Interest-Based Ads policy.
Which Information Can I Access?
HSP gives you access to a broad range of information about your account and your interactions with HSP for the limited purpose of viewing and, in certain cases, updating that information. Some examples are (with notice, this list will change as our services evolve): display or user name, location, show or hide profile, change profile picture, set a status, invite a friend or family member, etc.
What Choices Do I Have?
- As discussed above, you can always choose not to provide information, even though it might be needed to sign up for a free service or to take advantage of other HSP services (e.g. lesson planner, HSP blog or community forum, curriculum or eLearning software).
- You can add or update certain information on pages such as those referenced in the ‘Which Information Can I Access?’ section.
Are Children Allowed to Use HSP?
HSP does not offer tools and solutions for subscription / sign up by children. We offer children's education and learning solution for subscription / sign up by adults. If you are under 18, you may use HSP only with the involvement of a parent, guardian or responsible adult. Parents, teachers & educators, care givers, guardians, instructors or responsible adults may subscribe / sign up for an offering from HSP; learners and students under 18 may use HSP services with supervision and direction from an adult.
EU-US Privacy Shield
HSP highly regards the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information from European Union member countries. Upon registration with the EU-US Privacy Shield, we aim to certify with the Department of Commerce that we adhere to the Privacy Shield Principles. To learn more about the Privacy Shield Principles, click here.
We also aim to adhere to privacy best practices regarding the collection and use of personal information on our websites and apps. To that effect, we are working to be certified with an independent privacy compliance solution provider, which provides a Privacy Seal on a website or app, asserting that, the company operating that property has met the privacy certification requirements established by independent privacy compliance solution provider and / or applicable regulatory bodies.
If you have any inquiries or complaints about our handling of your personal data under Privacy Shield, or about our privacy practices generally, please contact us at: Contact@HomeschoolPanda.com, and we will respond to your inquiry promptly.
HSP is working diligently, to register with an independent third-party dispute resolution service to ensure privacy compliance. If we are unable to satisfactorily resolve any complaint relating to the Privacy Shield, or if we fail to acknowledge your complaint in a timely fashion, you will be able to submit your complaint to the third party, which provides an independent third-party dispute resolution service based in the United States. Once HSP has registered, the third party will be committed to respond to complaints and to provide appropriate recourse at no cost to you. If neither HSP nor the third party will resolve your complaint, you may pursue binding arbitration through the Privacy Shield Panel. To learn more about the Privacy Shield Panel, click here.
As explained here we may sometimes provide personal information to third parties to perform services on our behalf. If we transfer personal information received under the Privacy Shield to a third party, the third party's access, use, and disclosure of the personal data must also be in compliance with our Privacy Shield obligations, and we will remain liable under the Privacy Shield for any failure to do so by the third party unless we prove we are not responsible for the event giving rise to the damage.
Related Practices and Information
Examples of Information Collected
Information You Provide Us
You provide most such information when you sign up, subscribe, search, post, participate in a contest or questionnaire, or communicate with our support line. For example, you provide information when you search for a service or tool on HSP or one of our third-party solution providers; provide information in your user account (and you might have more than one if you have used more than one e-mail address when signing up with us) or your profile; communicate with us by phone, e-mail, or otherwise; complete a questionnaire or a contest entry form; use our services such as ‘The HSP’ You Tube Channel, eLearning Software, Homeschooling Planner, Apps provided by HSP or other community features; and provide and rate Reviews. As a result of those actions, you might supply us with such information as your name, address, and phone numbers; content of reviews and e-mails to us; personal description and photograph in Your Profile.
Automatic Information and Information from others
Most mobile devices provide users with the ability to disable location services. Most likely, these controls are located in the device's settings menu. For information about specific devices, click here. If you have questions about how to disable your device's location services, we recommend you contact your mobile service carrier or your device manufacturer.
Information You Can Access
Examples of information you can access easily at HSP include up-to-date information regarding recent subscriptions; personally identifiable information (including name, e-mail, password, communications and personalized advertising preferences, and address book); e-mail notification settings and Your Profile (including your reviews and community form / blog participations).
Interest-Based Ads Policy
On both HSP-owned and operated sites and unaffiliated sites, HSP may display interest-based advertising using information you make available to us when you interact with our sites, content, or services. Interest-based ads, also sometimes referred to as personalized or targeted ads, are displayed to you based on information from activities such as subscription on our sites, visiting sites that contain HSP content or ads, and/or interacting with HSP tools. Click here for more information about the types of information that we gather. In providing interest-based ads, we follow the guidelines from ‘Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising developed by the Digital Advertising Alliance’ (http://digitaladvertisingalliance.org/principles) (a coalition of marketing, online advertising, and consumer advocacy organizations).
We do not provide any personal information to advertisers or to third party sites that display our interest-based ads. However, advertisers and other third-parties (including the ad networks, ad-serving companies, and other service providers they may use) may assume that users who interact with or click on a personalized ad or content are part of the group that the ad or content is directed towards (for example, users in the Pacific Northwest who bought or browsed for homeschooling materials). Also, some third-parties may provide us information about you (such as the sites where you have been shown ads or demographic information) from offline and online sources that we may use to provide you more relevant and useful advertising.
HSP offers you choices about receiving interest-based ads from us. You can choose not to receive interest-based ads from HSP. You will still see ads but they will not be personalized.
You can also generally opt-out of receiving personalized ads from third party advertisers and ad networks who are members of the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) or who follow the Digital Advertising Alliance’s Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising by visiting the opt-out pages on the NAI website and DAA website.
Turn Off Location Information on Specific Devices
You can disable all access to location information by applications and collection of location information by your device location service at any time.
To turn off location services on your device, do one of the following:
- On Kindle Fire devices, tap Location-based Services in the Settings menu, and then tap Off.
Note: These steps are not applicable to Kindle Fire 1st Generation.
- On Android devices, tap the Location option from the Settings menu. Most Android devices will allow you to turn off location services for your entire phone, such as GPS services and other companies' location services. Generally, by leaving a box unchecked, the location service is turned off.
- On iPhone and Windows phones, tap Settings, then tap Location Services and toggle the switch to OFF.